Friday, June 3, 2011

An Experiment in Simplicity Cont.....

So on Wednesday I announced my intent to simplify my life. I proposed to do this by removing the clutter, the excesses of my life.

First steps are baby steps and I started with my closet. This is an area of endless frustration for me. I can never find what I want when I want it! Last weekend my husband and I went away for a few days. While packing, I thought I would take my denim skirt. I searched the hangers and drawers in the bedroom and could not find it. I then looked in the seasonal clothes I have in storage thinking it might be with my summer items. No luck. I then went to the attic where I have MORE clothes in storage, still no luck. Fine, I decided I would take my Khaki crop pants instead. Guess what? I could NOT find them either!!!! I was beginning to feel like there was a conspiracy to keep me from going on my trip! I finally finished packing and left, still with no idea where these two items of clothing were.

Guess what I found when cleaning out my closet? You guessed it, my denim skirt and khaki crop pants. They were in an over night bag stuffed at the back of my closet under other things.

Now in my defense, I don't have an ordinary closet. As you will see in the pictures below, it looks like a regular closet, but the left hand side of the closet extends 3 feet to the side (in the wall) with no way to access it. To get at this space you have to literally climb into the closet, which I hate doing. That three foot crawl space to the left is where this bag of clothes and several other item had migrated!

At any rate, I am glad to announce that what was lost has now been found!

So here are a few pictures of the sorting process:





Various bins are for "keep", "store", "donate" & "throw away".
I think one was "laundry" too but we won't talk about that one!!

Now I did not start this project by taking "before" pictures (mostly because I was too embarrassed!), so you won't get the full affect of what I have achieved so far.



Here is a look at the closet towards the end:




LOOK at all this SPACE!!!

I have a few more areas of the bedroom to complete, then I plan to tackle the kitchen next!!!

Here's to feeling good about the first few days of a new undertaking!!

No comments:

Post a Comment