Monday, June 13, 2011

Continuing to Simplify......Getting Rid of STUFF

Have you ever noticed how "stuff" accumulates? I don't mean useful things, I mean "stuff", those items that serve no purpose and seem to multiply exponentially overnight?

In my bid to simplify my life, I have become aware of how much "stuff" I have. A sugar bowl with no lid, backpacks with broken straps, books I have never read, clothes that no longer fit, my own drawings from elementary school (trust me, those I've had forever!!), dish sets where half the set has been broken, old hats, sporting gear from the 80's, a box spring with no mattress, a crib mattress with no crib (I've never even had a baby!!!), where does it all come from!!!???

Not only is there a lot of "stuff" in my life, but I tend to try and hide it. Out of sight,  out of mind! If I can't find a use for it, it goes up into the attic. If I don't have room for it, it goes up in the attic. If I am just tired of having to move around it, it goes up in the attic.

I have been promising myself for 2 years that I would sort through this unwanted "stuff" and have a garage sale. This week I took the plunge and ventured into the attic.

Honestly, I am embarrassed to even show you these pictures, but this is why I need a change.......

This is the South end of my attic. This end holds old luggage, old textbooks, photo albums, tax papers, old bedding, very old computers, several pieces of broken furniture, Christmas decorations and rolls of wrapping paper. I am sure there are more things hidden in there, but even I am scared to look deeper!!


This is my attic on the North end. This end holds more old furniture, including an old dresser, broken full length mirror, bed springs and so much more! This end also has bags of old clothes and boxes and boxes of books.

Now I am not a hoarder. In fact, the reason these items are up here is because I DON'T want them. The problem is that most of the stuff in boxes is in near new condition. Much of the clothing was worn only a few times (I would buy something and then change sizes!!) and looks brand new! 


Sorting through BAGS of clothing!


Books, books and more books!!!



The problem is that I can see much of it is still serviceable and I don't want to be wasteful and throw it out. So, the question becomes "what to do with it"? As mentioned earlier, I thought I would just hold a garage sale and get rid of it all, but I either never find the time or get rained out.

So this month, one of my goals is to see this space finally cleaned up and cleared out! What I would really like to do with this space in the short term is make it over into my Crafting Studio! Even though the walls are slanted part way up, there is plenty of usable space. the area actually measures more than 500 feet square! That is a lot of space I could be using to sew my pillows, crochet my scrub cloths, plan new items for my Etsy shop and store ready-made inventory!

Watch for a massive garage sale coming soon!!!

1 comment:

  1. Books mmmmmmm I love books, what kind of books, text books don't think so....mysteries yes wait no i have no room and I need to STUDY don't tempt me so !

    ReplyDelete