Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Pursuing Natural Options with and for My Head!

A few years back I decided that I was tired of using products with so many chemical and ingredients I couldn't pronounce. I wanted to try more "natural" ingredients in my body and skin care routines. 

I use "natural" in quotations because it is defined so many different ways by different people. To me, natural meant using something without chemicals, with ingredients I recognized and that I could make myself.

I was saddened, and a little frightened, when I read all of the ingredients in our shampoos, soaps, body washes and the like. Worried about sulfates and other chemicals my skin was absorbing when I washed my hair, I started with Shampoo and Conditioner as my first experiments. 

I then continued the experiment with lip balms, sugar scrubs, makeup removers and skin moisturizers and toners. I found natural ingredients at my local stores and markets that I could use. I researched the various additives and preservatives available. I looked at scents and how my body reacted to them. 

I started with simple recipes that have evolved over the last several years. Some of these experiments were the start of products that I sell at Craft Fairs. This includes the Lip Balms I sell online at www.ritzysallnaturals.etsy.com. These lip balms are available in 5 flavors and include only natural ingredients.

The recipe I want to share with you today is a simple one that you can make at home with ingredients you probably already have on hand. This is one of the first recipes I used for myself and I still use it today, although the scents I use now have become a little more complex. So here's the recipe. Give it a try and let me know what you think!



Revitalizing Orange-mint Comditioner


You will need the following:

1 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Egg Yolk
1 cup Distilled Water
4-7 drops of Essential Oils (I use 4 drops Sweet Orange & 2 Drops Peppermint) 
2 Capsules Vitamin E Oil (optional)


Instructions:

1. Mix the Olive Oil, Egg and Water in the blender until smooth.

2. Carefully add your Essential Oils. It does not take much to change the scent of the conditioner. Unless you REALLY like peppermint, use it sparingly, as it is quite strong!

3. Using a sterilized sewing needle, poke a hole in the Vitamin E Oil Capsule and squeeze the oil into the blender. The Vitamin E is a natural moisturizer and preservative.

4. Blend all ingredients completely.

5. Pour into convenient bottle.

For longest usage, store the container in the fridge. This recipe adds no chemical preservative so only make what you can use in a week or two.


That's It! There you have a very simple way to incorporate a natural alternative into your daily routine. Customize this recipe by substituting your favorite Essential oils. Have fun with it! And let me know how it turns out!!

That's all for now - until next time...Keep it Natural!


Interested in more information on the Lip Balms mentioned above? Check out www.ritzysallnaturals.etsy.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment