Thursday, January 27, 2011

Doin' a Duathlon Race

I am excited about my new challenge!
I will be participating in a Duathlon race this spring!!

I have begun training for my first ever Duathlon race, to take place in May of 2011. This Duathlon consists of a 2.5 km run, a 20 km bike and a 5 km run.

With only 16 weeks training time til the race, every day counts!

Biking has always been my strong suit, so I am less concerned about that. My main concern is the run portion of the race which, you will notice above, happens at both the beginning and again at the end. My main concern with this portion of the race is that I have asthma and running has always been a trigger for my condition.

To train myself to run, I have begun a walk/run interval program on the treadmill.
I am starting out as follows:

Warm up at an easy walk for 5 minutes.
Run 1 minute                  
Walk 2 minutes to recover
The walk/run above constitutes 1 interval and is repeated 8 times.
Cool down at an easy walk for 5 minutes

Total Work out is 34 minutes.

Next week, Monday Jan. 31, I will be moving up to a 1.5 minute run and 2 minute recover time. It will take about 6 weeks before I am doing anything that really resembles running!!!

So welcome to the beginning of my race training!
I look forward to getting my road bike into the house and set up on the trainer so I can begin bike training!

Watch for up coming pictures and updates to my training regiment!!!

Thank you for reading, and, until next time, KEEP IT "NATURAL"

1 comment: